RN Wound Ostomy
32 hours a week. 3:00pm-11:30pm
To provide expertise in the management of wound, ostomy, or skin care. Additionally, provides consultation to acute care patient care units.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
% of Time
Actively manages patient care correlating initial assessment, treatment course, and other services.
· Communicates patient care effectively.
· Contacts physicians/offices to clarify physician orders.
· Assess data reflective of the patient's status and interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's educational requirements based on their age-specific needs and to provide the care needed.
· Ensures wound/ostomy/skin plan of care is understood by those in the continuum of care also providing patient services, i.e. Home Health, DME Company, and agencies in the continuum of patient care.
· Documents patient's response to interventions.
· Performs a thorough and accurate patient assessment to evaluate the patient's status, level of knowledge, determine readiness for education, plan and implement appropriate teaching strategies and assess the patient's response.
· Considers special patient needs when delivering nursing care.
· Evaluates patient/family cultural needs to promote comfort and compliance to prescribed regimens.
· Evaluates patient/family cognitive skills and adjusts education accordingly.
· Possesses knowledge and skills necessary to obtain adequate lab specimens for testing.
· Performs patient bedside lab testing and associated quality control in compliance with medical provider’s orders and hospital lab procedures/policies.
Provides effective and quality wound care education and documentation to ensure optimal level of care.
· Maintains knowledge of skin care, wound, and ostomy trends, standards, and education.
· Demonstrates knowledge of required nursing care for individual procedures/treatments.
· Provides accurate patient education and discharge instructions.
· Facilitates product evaluation for ostomy and wound/skin care products.
· Works collaboratively with staff nurses.
· Utilizes the nursing process by assessing the learner and teaching situations, formulating a plan for teaching, providing the education directly or by assisting other staff, and evaluating the teaching process.
· Timely documents teaching efforts and outcome.
Provides patient education.
· Documents patient care and any changes in patient's status thoroughly and accurately.
· Documents patient/family education and assessment of patient/family learning.
· Assesses patients/family to desired educational method and includes that delivery method in education.
Keeps abreast with current methods, resources and industry trends for Professional growth.
· Identifies opportunities to improve patient, family, and staff teaching programs.
· Continues professional development.
· Demonstrates technical knowledge of equipment and supplies.
· Demonstrates knowledge of tests and procedures.
· Displays and maintains pharmacology knowledge.
· Reads current literature to maintain and develop knowledge base.
· Participates in education of other departmental and organizational personnel, as requested.
· Assists in development of new programs as requested.
· Participates actively to ensure activities are in agreement with regulatory standards, i.e., The Joint Commission, Medicare, Medicaid, OSHA, etc.
· Actively transfers knowledge of any wound care changes to staff.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduate of an accredited nursing program.
Individuals hired after August 1, 2013 must obtain a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing (BSN) within (5) years of start date.
Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing (BSN)
1 years of experience in/with medical/surgical clinical setting;
Basic knowledge of wound, ostomy, and skin care management.
Demonstrated clinical expertise and ability to function without direct supervision
Current licensure in good standing as a Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois.
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification within 30 days of hire/start date.
Must possess and maintain current Wound Care Certification (WCC or CWON) within two years of hire/start date.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities/hospitals.
Required to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.