Sign On Incentive of $3000 for qualifying candidates!
The Core Tech functions in support of the Operating Room and Sterile Processing teams to ensure that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. The Operating Room Technician maintains overall department and room turnover, performs sterilization of instruments, performs daily pulling of OR cases and room organization, and assists with supply maintenance in the department.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work at https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence//Departmental Support
· Participates in team effort to accomplish efficient room turnover per AORN guidelines and Infection Control Policy which includes but is not limited to:
o Sweeping/mopping floors
o Placing equipment in an orderly fashion
o Collecting/distributing clean/soiled linen
o Collecting and transporting hazardous waste
o Transports patients via wheelchair, stretcher, or bed
o Changing bed linens
o Obtaining supplies
o Transporting specimens
o Opening sterile supplies
o Transporting instruments and case carts to/from Sterile Processing
o Sterilizing instruments
· Cleans assigned areas in the surgical department by washing furniture, tile, fixtures, and equipment with germicidal cleaning solutions
· Maintains janitor closet, cleans carts and equipment, and ensures all items are replaced in an orderly manner
· Knowledgeable in functions of Central Sterile Processing related to cleaning, disinfecting, sterilizing, wrapping and storage of instrumentation following appropriate “Instructions for Use,” (IFU’s) of instrumentation and assists as needed
· Understands usage of standard precautions, personal protective equipment, and isolation precautions.
· Prepares all necessary equipment, supplies and positioning aids based on preference card
· Performs assigned patient care duties as needed and/or delegated to, which may include:
o Monitoring surgical schedule to ensure that the patient arrives on the unit in a timely manner
o Transports patients via wheelchair, stretcher, or bed
o Performs linen changes on stretchers and beds
o Transfer patient from stretcher or bed to OR bed
o Responds to patient needs promptly
o Aids other team members as required
o Positioning and prepping patients according to AORN guidelines
o Applying monitors to the patient
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High school diploma or equivalent
Healthcare related experience preferred
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Must possess current basic life support (BLS) certification or obtain within 3 months of hire
Writes, reads, comprehends, and speaks fluent English
Basic computer knowledge using Microsoft Office, web browser, and email
Demonstrates competency in aseptic technique upon completion of orientation
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Call responsibilities may be associated with this position. Operating Room Assistant must remain substance free and within 30 minutes of the facility when fulfilling call obligations