Certified Medical Assistant-4H Surgical at Methodist Hospital
36 hours, 7:00am-7:00pm with every other weekend and rotating holidays.
The Certified Medical Assistant assists with the examination and treatment of patients under the directions of a physician or Registered Nurse (RN).
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
% of Time
Clinical Excellence Focus: Promotes the use of evidence based practice through the appropriate care protocols and procedures.
· Under the supervision of an RN, assesses patient's status through interview, observation and physical assessment of actual problems and outcomes
· Assists the RN in the development of an individualized plan of care using a collaborative approach with the patient/family and health care team.
· Implements appropriate interventions identified in the plan of care to achieve expected patient outcomes
· Systematically evaluates and documents patient's progress toward expected outcomes/goals on an ongoing basis throughout the shift as directed by RN.
· Modifies plan of care based on evaluation as directed by RN.
· Completes required documentation as appropriate, including patient charting and event reports
· Demonstrates professional accountability for own practice as evidenced through seeking resources and continuing self-development
· Demonstrates technical knowledge of equipment and troubleshoots when problems arise
· Acquires and maintains current knowledge and skills in evidence based practice
· Shares clinical knowledge through informal teaching and in response to the learning needs of others
· Performs select clinical duties, including but not limited to:
o Ensures that activity goals are met daily
o Taking vital signs
o Verifying and reconciling medical records/patient history/patient flowsheets
o Completing patient admissions and starting the intake process.
o Completing patient discharges
o Drawing blood
· Complete other duties as assigned by the nurse.
Work Environment & Culture Focus: Participates in interdisciplinary care of patient through collaboration with team members and utilizes additional resources when necessary.
· Analyzes clinical situations in a systematic way and acts to obtain resources or correct problems to meet or exceed expected outcomes or patient needs
· Recognizes need for assistance and utilizes resources in a timely manner
· Demonstrates ownership and persistence to ensure problem is resolved in best way possible.
· Able to assume assignment of non-complex and some complex patient management with some turnover in assignment as directed by RN
· Consistently prioritizes work based on changes in patient condition, changes in assignment and unanticipated interruptions
· Identifies and utilizes team resources to solve identified problems or needs
· Collaborates with the health care team in the organization of tasks and activities for the patient's care from admission to discharge according to the plan of care and to meet identified expected outcomes
· Provides goal-focused bedside shift report
· Advocates with physicians on patient's behalf when necessary
· Utilizes communication and teamwork strategies aimed at promoting high team performance and achieving optimal patient outcomes and unit productivity
· Chooses an appropriate and meaningful communication style when interacting with others; gives and accepts constructive feedback to/from peers
· Participates in intentional rounds, communicates any next level of care needs.
Patient Education Focus: Adapts teaching strategies appropriately to meet the patient's/family's age specific needs.
· Adapts teaching strategies based on patient's response, readiness to learn and level of comprehension as directed by RN.
· Takes cultural, age-specific, gender, and developmental factors into consideration when teaching patients about procedures, illness, hospital experience, etc. under the direction of RN.
· Ensures patient safety in the hospital environment by following policy/procedures and adhering to National Patient Safety Goals
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education
· Utilizes health patient education system and other resources for patients and family members
· Completes discharge education with patients.
· Utilizes teach-back method of education.
Performance Improvement Focus: Actively participates in data collection, analysis, problem solving and gives input on process improvements and patient satisfaction.
· Assures that the care provided is consistent with standards of care, evidence based practices, national patient safety goals, core measures and other quality initiatives undertaken by the unit/hospital, such as activity, basic hygiene and nutrition.
· Works with interdisciplinary team in identifying opportunities for improvement in patient care and patient/family satisfaction
· Actively promotes and achieves customer satisfaction (patient, family, departments, physicians)
· Participates in the implementation of Performance Improvement initiatives
· Promptly and efficiently follows up on patient/family requests/needs - anticipates patient/family needs
· Encourages coworkers in achieving excellent customer satisfaction; utilizes organizational service excellence standards
· Identifies practice problems on the unit with solutions generated.
· Implements changes in own clinical practice based on literature and unit process improvement outcomes
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High School Diploma/GED
Certificate of completion from an accredited Medical Assisting training program.
Current certification as a Certified Medical Assistant through NHA or AAMA.
· Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification within 30 days of hire.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgement in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.