UnityPoint Health: Methodist Hospital
PRN: As Needed
1st shift with some variable hours available.
Using technical skills and knowledge, the Histology Technician prepares slides of body tissues to be used by the pathologist for analysis and diagnostic purposes.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
COVID-19 and Flu Vaccination Requirement: It is required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and Influenza. Exemption requests based on medical or religious reasons may be submitted, but must be approved for active employment.
% of Time
Demonstrates technical skills required to accession Histology specimens and assist with Gross Dissection
· Utilizes the Anatomic Pathology Lab Information System (LIS) to log and accession specimens.
· Organizes work priorities to provide exceptional service and turnaround time.
· Works closely with the Pathologist’s Assistant (PA) and/or Pathologists to ensure coding and specimen types are correct.
· Communicates delays or concerns with coworkers and the PAs, utilizes the Communication Board as appropriate to ensure handoff between shifts.
· Consistently demonstrates Service Always behaviors in all interactions.
· Retrieves Anatomical Pathology specimens from surgery, endoscopy, reference laboratory and Histology refrigerator.
· Matches all specimens with requisitions, checking two patient identifiers at each step.
· Ensures specimens and requisitions are labeled with two patient identifiers and specimen source; follows up on any unlabeled or incorrectly labeled specimens/requisitions and logs these on the appropriate form for monthly review.
· Accurately enters pertinent data including physicians and specimens submitted in AP LIS System.
· Ensures all appropriate submitting physicians and Hospitals are included as to avoid later amendments and dissatisfied clients.
· Prints cassettes accordingly.
· Accurately records assigned Anatomic Pathology specimen accession number on specimen container and requisition.
· Accurately orders expected stains based on the requisition or established protocols.
· Ensures grossed cassettes are placed in 10% NBF.
· Removes any unused cassettes from LIS.
· Ensures processors are loaded properly and started at scheduled times.
· Uses critical thinking to ensure specimen integrity at all times.
· Assists the PA or Pathologist in any way requested.
· Ensures the accessioning and grossing area is clean and well-organized.
Demonstrates technical skills required to embed, section, stain and label tissue specimens.
· Demonstrates knowledge and skill in embedding.
· Adjusts embedding technique to meet the request of the pathologist.
· Demonstrates knowledge and skill in sectioning paraffin embedded tissues at appropriate thicknesses.
· Follows established protocols for number of slides, thickness, deepness between levels.
· Demonstrates knowledge and skill in sectioning frozen tissue specimens and assisting during interoperative consultations. Responds quickly and efficiently to these requests and understands the importance to the patient.
· Understands and has the ability to troubleshoot routine H&E stains. Demonstrates knowledge and skill in performing this manually if needed due to instrumentation issues.
· Understands and has the ability to troubleshoot Special Stains. Demonstrates knowledge and skill in performing these manually if needed due to instrumentation issues.
· Demonstrates knowledge and skill in performing immunohistochemical (IHC) stains.
· Displays a willingness to adapt to change as the department grows and evolves.
· Utilizes proper technique as defined by each individual procedure.
· Checks controls for quality of work and repeats testing as required.
· Consults with pathologist about problem specimens. Involves others when necessary.
· Observes safety guidelines.
· Organizes work priorities to provide exceptional service and turnaround time.
Participates in support activities necessary to ensure an effective and efficient operation
· Contributes ideas and assists in implementing changes to ensure efficient operation of the department.
· Supports co-workers by assisting in department support activities: takes temperatures, labels and dates all reagents, checks reagents for outdating and discards as needed, restocks reagents and supplies, notifies appropriate person when inventory is low, changes tissue processors, changes staining reagents, discards tissues, sends slides and blocks which are 5-10 years old to off-site storage facility, recycles xylene and alcohol, files blocks and slides.
· Disposes of chemical wastes appropriately
· Cleans and maintains instruments, refrigerators, freezers and work and storage areas.
· Displays a willingness and interest in learning new instruments or procedures or in cross training into other areas.
· Generates and reads email daily.
· Provides support for other laboratory sections by assisting when staffing shortages or heavy workload events occur and helping to maintain lounge areas used in all sections. Demonstrates a teamwork mentality.
· Information from written documents/communications are reviewed, retained and appropriately applied. Manuals and procedures are used as reference/learning tools.
· Answers the phone using Service Always Behaviors and follows through on all requests appropriately.
· Aids in training and orientation of less experienced employees, students and others as delegated.
· Adjusts schedule to meet changes in workload or at the direction of the manager. Schedules appointments on days off when possible.
· Supports Histology department by consistently offering help to others.
· Minimizes Overtime, takes time back as needed without prompting, volunteers to help others to ensure overtime is not accrued.
· Asks for help when needed, demonstrating good communication skills.
· Regularly attends staff meetings and disseminates information to those who cannot attend. Reads minutes from unattended meetings to keep abreast of changes.
· Other duties as assigned.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Associate’s Degree in a biological, chemical, or medical laboratory science
· Completion of 60 hours of college credit with 24 hours being in biology, chemistry, and/or medical laboratory science (6 hours of biology, 6 hours of chemistry required. 12 hours can be a combination biology/chemistry/medical laboratory science)
Successful completion of a NAACLS accredited HT program
1 year experience in Histology preferred.
HT (ASCP) preferred.
Required English Skills
1. Basic reading skills
2. Basic writing skills
3. Basic oral skills
1. Ability to respond appropriately to customer/co-worker
2. Interaction with a wide variety of people
3. Maintain confidential information
4. Ability to communicate only the facts to recipients or to decline to reveal information
5. Ability to project a professional, friendly, helpful demeanor