Job Title: Ultrasound Technologist-Registered
Location: Methodist campus
Shift: 1st shift
Hours per week: 32
****Sign on Bonus available!****
To perform routine and specialized examinations in Ultrasound; adapt procedures to obtain specific diagnostic and/or therapeutic results; prepare patients for examinations. This requires independent judgment to adapt procedures to obtain specific diagnostic results under the direction of a radiologist.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
COVID-19 and Flu Vaccination Requirement: It is required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and Influenza. Exemption requests based on medical or religious reasons may be submitted, but must be approved for active employment.
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Performs ultrasound procedures in a manner that ensures an accurate and complete examination within the guidelines, policies, procedures and standards of Medical Imaging to assigned patients of all ages
o Exhibits competency in performing ultrasound procedures
o Images required views demonstrating appropriate anatomy and pathology
o Knowledgeable of catheters, biopsy instruments and sterile trays and prepares these items as necessary
o Obtains accurate histories and explains rationale for procedure to patients/families
o Enhances image quality through the use of appropriate transducers and machine settings
o Evaluates the finished images to ensure diagnostic exams are being submitted to the radiologists
o Maintains quality care throughout the procedure
o Assess the abdominal arterial & venous system using color imaging
· Maintains working knowledge of equipment in order to function in all areas of ultrasound.
o All ultrasound equipment within the Medical Imaging Ultrasound department at both the hospital & Diagnostic Center
o Technically knowledgeable of equipment operation including hardware and software
o Performs reasonable trouble shooting
o Reports equipment problems through appropriate channels & documents on board for all staff notification
o Maintains clean work area, checks and stocks all supplies in their specific area and verifies pertinent accessories assigned to that room
o Reports equipment problems through appropriate channels
o Invasive Procedures
o Able to document area of concern
o Set up trays with sterile field for radiologist
o Assists radiologist with biopsy
o Orders labs and pathology tests under the direction of a radiologist
· Performs support functions of the Medical Imaging department to ensure patient expectations and needs are met and assumes personal responsibility for training fellow technologists/students.
o Promptly processes images and paperwork to ensure timely turn around in providing a report to the physician's office
o Fills out all appropriate paperwork to facilitate timely and accurate reporting
o Maintains and coordinates patient flow to ensure efficient and expedient patient care
o Promptly and accurately enters patient information into HIS system to ensure efficient patient throughput
o Activates the check in documentation on patients in a timely manner to ensure accuracy of the patient's information in the HIS system
o Accurately completes all fields in the HIS STAR Radiology system, i.e. number of films repeated, contrast reaction, exam data entry, start and stop times of exams
o Maintenance of the QA, QC, QI programs
o Shares knowledge and guides fellow technologists/students with proper department protocol and procedures
o Displays a professional attitude in the area toward fellow technologists/students, fostering mutual respect and creating productive learning environment
o Assists Lead Technologist in teaching ultrasound procedures to fellow technologists/students
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Associate’s degree in the field of Ultrasound
1-3 years of experience in/with problem-solving skills, the ability to set priorities, organize work and have excellent interpersonal skills, Flexibility and the ability to work well with others is required
ARDMS-must have documentation of registry at the time of employment-must be board certified in Ultrasound at a minimum
CPR-must have proof of current certification or obtain within 90 days of employment
Basic reading, writing, oral English skills
Basic computer knowledge
Critical thinking skills using independent judgement in making decisions
Ability to respond appropriately to customer/co-worker
Interaction with a wide variety of people
Maintain confidential information
Ability to communicate only the facts to recipients or to decline to reveal information
Ability to project a professional, friendly, helpful demeanor
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities