Position: Nuclear Medicine Technologist-Registered
Shift: first shift with call
Hours per week: 32 hours per week, benefitted
****Sign On Bonus Available****
To perform routine and specialized nuclear medicine procedures for patients of all ages in order to confirm or deny required treatment. To adapt procedures to obtain specific diagnostic results under the direction of a radiologist.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
COVID-19 and Flu Vaccination Requirement: It is required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and Influenza. Exemption requests based on medical or religious reasons may be submitted, but must be approved for active employment.
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
Performs diagnostic Nuclear Medicine procedures in a manner that ensures an accurate and complete examination within the guidelines, policies, procedures and standards of Medical Imaging to assigned patients of all ages.
o Exhibits competency in performing diagnostic imaging and radionuclide therapy
o Completes scheduling, ordering radiopharmaceutical and patient preparation guidelines
o Performs and documents administrations of all Radiopharmaceuticals
o Maintains quality care throughout the procedure practicing radiation protection maintaining personal exposure ALARA
o Performs required equipment quality control
o Documents quality control records and images camera floods
o Follows all conditions of MMCI radioactive material license and IDNS regulations
o Completes all radiation safety documentation
o Possesses knowledge and skills necessary to obtain adequate lab specimens for testing.
o Performs patient bedside lab testing and associated quality control in compliance with medical provider’s orders and hospital lab procedures/policies.
· Maintains working knowledge of equipment and procedures in order to function in multiple areas of the department.
o Technically knowledgeable of equipment operation and performs reasonable troubleshooting
o Checks and observes equipment for general safety and appropriate operation
o Maintains clean work area, checks and stocks all supplies in their specific area and verifies pertinent accessories assigned to that room
o Knowledgeable of Hot Lab and procedures
o Receives radioactive packages; prepares doses for disposition; maintains radioactive waste for storage
o Knowledgeable of thyroid ablations and therapies
o Fulfills all documentation for IDNS requirements
o Performs Schilling's and Red Cell mass procedures
o Demonstrates a practical problem solving approach to patient moving and handling issues.
o Demonstrates skills to promote patient and staff safety through appropriate use of lift equipment.
· Performs support functions of the Nuclear Medicine/PET Department to ensure patient expectations and needs are met. Assumes personal responsibility for training fellow technologists/students and uses time, supplies and other resources productively to promote responsive and cost-effective care for our patients.
o Promptly processes films and paper work to ensure timely turn around in providing a report
o Maintains and coordinates patient flow to ensure efficient and expedient patient care by transporting to and from the department as required and working with multiple patients at one time utilizing appropriate resources to ensure safety
o Promptly and accurately enters patient information into RIS system and all other medical records to ensure efficient patient throughput
o Maintains the QA, QC and QI programs
o May act as Radiation Safety Officer Designee for the medical center and serve on the Medical Staff Radiation Safety/Medical Isotopes committee as a resource person for development of radiation safety programs/procedures for the regulator agency licensed services of the medical center unless alternate designee is selected by the current Radiation Safety Officer
o Shares knowledge, guides, and encourages fellow technologists/students with proper department protocol and procedures
o Displays a professional attitude in the area toward fellow technologists/students, fostering mutual respect and creating a productive learning environment
o Completes care while conserving resources preventing waste of supplies
o Completes work within assigned shift
o Uses slow time to improve area appearance and accept additional assignments
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.