Sign On Incentive of $10,000 for qualifying candidates!
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
The LPN is responsible for providing safe and reliable patient care, under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN). The LPN assists in the monitoring, observing, and reporting reactions to the patient’s plan of care.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Collaborates with healthcare team to provide patient care.
o Consults with RN and/or other healthcare team members, as appropriate.
o Obtains instruction and supervision, as necessary, when implementing new or unfamiliar nursing practices or techniques.
o Shall have knowledge and understanding of the laws governing licensure and function within the legal boundaries of their discipline.
o Complies with established department routines, policies and procedures.
· Contributes to the admission assessment process by collecting, reporting and recording objective and subjective data in an accurate and timely manner. Data collection includes:
o Observation of patient
o Noting change in condition
o Signs and symptoms of deviation from normal health status
· Assists in the identification of appropriate patient care interventions to maintain comfort, support human functions and responses, and maintain an environment conducive to safety and well-being. Implements measures to promote a safe environment.
· Assists the healthcare team to achieve the patient care outcomes and goals of care.
· May receive telephone, verbal and written physician orders and process per hospital policy. May implement orders following RN acknowledgement.
· Administers medications, including IV fluids, and performs tasks within scope of practice.
· Integrates multidisciplinary approach to maintain comfort, support human functions and responses, and maintain an environment conductive to safety and well-being. Implements measures to promote a safe environment.
· Incorporates the St. Luke’s Hospital’s Comfort/C.A.R.E. Professional Practice Model into their daily nursing practice. Focuses plan of care on patient-centric goals.
· Focuses on patients’ care needs across all sites of care.
· Collaborates with the patient/family to anticipate steps needed to ensure safe transitions in care.
· Informs assigned RN of any changes in patient condition in a timely manner.
· Collaborates with the RN and other healthcare team members to communicate progress towards agreed upon goal of care. Assists in updating the plan and goals of care to reflect changes in needs, under the direction of the RN.
· Demonstrates strong verbal and written communication skills with patients, families, healthcare team members and other customers.
· Demonstrates real-time EMR documentation in accordance with hospital and unit policies.
· Multidisciplinary patient charting is completed in real-time to assure that goals of care and patient outcomes are being achieved.
· Completes hand-offs with attention to detail and with safety as a priority..
· Communicates with providers during routine rounding and as needed.
· Integrates patient/family teaching throughout the hospitalization, including the overview of the plan and goals of care, pre- and post-operative procedures, diagnostic procedures and discharge teaching.
· Integrates preventative health maintenance into the education plan.
· Provides discharge instructions following review and signature of the RN.
· Assess and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient’s and their families’ age specific needs, culture, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Purposefully conducts all aspects of the job in an ethical manner in support of the hospital’s commitment to ethical behavior in all areas of personal and professional activity.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Completed an accredited LPN program and/or be eligible to take licensure exam
· Possess current LPN licensure in the State of Iowa or compact state
· Maintain current BLS certification
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Completion of IV Therapy certification
· Writes, reads, speaks, and comprehends fluent English
· Demonstrates proficiency in the manual skills and techniques required to perform basic nursing procedures and the operation of specialized equipment
· Ability to successfully complete a basic computer course on the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) through in-hospital training.
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.