We are looking for a PRN Histotechnician to work in our Lab. Work hours will vary per required need. As a PRN employee you will be required to work (1) 8 or 12 hour shift per month.
The Histology Technician (HT) is responsible for providing timely and effective services to the customers of the departments assigned, assuring that the professional and technical process is carried out. Customers include predominately young adult to geriatric patients. The HT works in consultation with the laboratory supervisor assigned to Histology to assure that services are consistent with the needs of the Pathologists and medical staff.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
• BS degree in a Laboratory Science.
• Successful completion of an accredited HT or HTL program(preferred) -or- equivalent education to be eligible for high complexity testing per CLIA regulations
• Embedding for all tissue types
• Cutting tissues of all types
• Special staining
Previous experience in a histology laboratory in a clinical setting
Board Certified/Eligible in Histology as Histotechnician (HT, ASCP) or Histotechnologist (HTL, ASCP).
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
• Embedding with proper orientation
• Microtome use and care
• Cryostat use and care
• Maintenance procedures for processors and strainers
• Technical aptitude –ability to learn new systems quickly
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
• Strong attention to detail and quality
Knowledge of Anatomic Pathology software systems
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.