Customer Service Specialist
Full Time Benefits
Under the direction of the Respiratory Therapy Manager/Supervisor, the Respiratory Care Technician provides support where needed in the Respiratory Department, to ensure a smooth day to day operation. Works closely with Respiratory Therapists providing feedback on patient issues identified during patient contact either in person or by phone. The Respiratory Care Technician provides service to UnityPoint at Home patients through delivery, assembly and instruction on safe use of home respiratory equipment. This position also performs follow up visits for preventive maintenance, in the field or in the office. Appropriate documentation is a critical component of this position to ensure all company policies and regulatory requirements are met. After hours on-call equipment delivery and problem solving may be required.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). o not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Solves a wide variety of customer issues and questions, while referring issues out of scope to a Respiratory Therapist or management of the appropriate department.
· Works closely with Respiratory Therapists providing feedback on patient issues identified during a patient contact either in person or by phone.
· Works assigned reports to assure timely follow up on recertification requirements.
· Provides necessary timely follow up to CPAP/BIPAP patients in order to document compliance to therapy.
· Assists in obtaining orders and renewals to ensure necessary documentation.
· Performs downloads of respiratory equipment and provides necessary documentation to staff.
· Assesses appropriateness of equipment based on the patient’s ability to use and evaluates patient’s home environment to ensure safe use of equipment
· Performs preventative maintenance as required by policy, manufacturer or government regulation. Maintains equipment as needed and completes all required documentation
· Manages the patient owned CPAP repair process by tracking units sent out for repair and arranging return to patients once the repair completed.
· Manages the annual preventative maintenance checks/ visits report for oxygen equipment
· Responds to incoming calls from customers/patients and referral sources
· Schedules respiratory patients for various types of appointments.
· Maintains equipment used for CPAP mask cleaning per policy.
· Receives oxygen cylinders into the HME software system, accurately recording the cylinder lot numbers per policy, in compliance with FDA requirements where applicable
· Instructs patients in the proper use of equipment per policy
· Delivers respiratory equipment timely and efficiently to patients
· Reviews and explains all required documentation at each patient contact. Obtains signatures for consents, education and training forms and proof of delivery as needed.
· Assists in maintaining respiratory equipment and supply inventory according to policies.
· Responsible for inventory cycle counting of respiratory equipment and supplies, researching and resolving variances.
· Maintains up-to-date, accurate information regarding equipment maintenance, oxygen transfilling, and equipment delivery, to meet accreditation and regulatory requirements. Verifies patient’s demographic and insurance information upon delivery to ensure accurate input to billing for reimbursement.
· Completes documentation associated with delivery of products timely in accordance with company policy and regulatory requirements.
· Ensures inventory accuracy by auditing work order for correct product before and after delivery/pickup.
· Other duties as assigned
· Follows and complies with all policies, procedures, rules, regulations and behaviors
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· High School graduate, or equivalent
· 6 to 12 months experience in a customer service based environment.
· Knowledge of Medical Terminology
· Strong interpersonal, communication skills and ability to work as a collaborative team member.
· Strong organizational skills
· Strong computer skills
· Excellent customer service and verbal communication skills.
· 1 year experience working for a home health organization with a focus on respiratory services
· Knowledge of Respiratory equipment
· Knowledge of Respiratory equipment maintenance
· Mandatory Reporter: Child & Dependent Adult Abuse.
· Valid licensed driver with automobile insurance in accordance with state(s) and/or organizational requirements.
Knowledge of Respiratory Equipment
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.