Computed Tomography & Radiologic Technologist
UnityPoint Health: Proctor Hospital
Part time: Various Hours
To perform routine and specialized examinations in the specialty area of CT and diagnostic radiology, adapt procedures to obtain specific diagnostic and/or therapeutic results; prepare patients for examinations. This requires independent judgment to adapt procedures to obtain specific diagnostic results under the direction of a radiologist.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
COVID-19 and Flu Vaccination Requirement: It is required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and Influenza. Exemption requests based on medical or religious reasons may be submitted, but must be approved for active employment.
% of Time
· Performs procedures in a manner that ensures an accurate and complete examination within the guidelines, policies, procedures and standards of Medical Imaging to assigned patients of all ages.
o Exhibits competency in performing and filming CT and radiographic procedures
o Deviates from routines when the patient's condition requires it or at the request of the radiologist
o Knowledgeable of procedures and assist radiologist, orders labs and pathology tests, and schedules procedures appropriately
o Obtains and documents accurate pre and post procedure information as applicable
o Follows JCAHO patient safety goals
o Maintains quality care throughout the procedure
o Practices radiation protection through shielding whenever possible
o Possesses knowledge and skills necessary to obtain adequate lab specimens for testing.
o Performs patient bedside lab testing and associated quality control in compliance with medical provider’s orders and hospital lab procedures/policies.
· Maintains working knowledge of equipment in order to function in all aspects of CT and Diagnostic Radiology.
· Performs support functions of the Medical Imaging department to ensure patient expectations and needs are met.
o Technically knowledgeable of CT and diagnostic equipment operation
o Performs reasonable trouble shooting
o Checks and observes equipment for general safety, maintenance, and appropriate operation
o Reports equipment problems through appropriate channels
o Maintains clean work area, checks and stocks all supplies in their specific area and verifies pertinent accessories assigned to that room
o Promptly processes images and paper work according to proper procedures to ensure timely turn around in providing a report to the physician's office
o Maintains and coordinates patient flow to ensure efficient and expedient patient care, transporting patients to and from the department as required
o Promptly and accurately completes all fields in the PACS, HIS STAR Radiology system, i.e. number of images repeated, contrast reaction, exam data entry, start and stop times of exam
o Maintains and ensures a safe environment for patients and personnel and maintenance of the QA, QC, QI programs
· Assumes personal responsibility for training fellow technologists/students and uses time, supplies and other resources productively to promote responsive and cost effective care for our patients.
o Shares knowledge, guides and encourages fellow technologists/students with proper department protocol and procedures
o Displays a professional attitude in the area toward fellow technologists/students, fostering mutual respect and creating a productive learning environment
o Completes care while conserving resources, preventing waste of supplies
o Uses slow time to improve area appearance and accept additional assignments such as cassette cleaning, apron testing and film file duties
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Associate’s Degree/Certificate in the field(s) of Radiologic Technology Required
1-3 years of experience in/with problem-solving skills, the ability to set priorities, organize work and have excellent interpersonal skills. Flexibility and the ability to work well with other is required.
ARRT-registered in Radiologic Technology by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologist and must have documentation of this registry at the time of employment. New graduates, who are registry eligible, will have one year to produce this registry documentation of successful completion of the registry exam
IEMA-licensed by the State of Illinois and must present this documentation at the time of hire or submit documentation of a “10 day letter” provided by IEMA until IEMA licensure is received by the employee at which point is to be turned into Educator of department
CPR-documentation at time of hire or obtain certification within 90 days of hire
· Basic reading, writing, oral English skills
· Multicultural sensitivity
· Customer/patient focused
· Basic computer knowledge
· Critical thinking skills using independent judgement in making decisions
· Ability to respond appropriately to customer/co-worker
· Interaction with a wide variety of people
· Maintain confidential information
· Ability to communicate only the facts to recipients or to decline to reveal information
· Ability to project a professional, friendly, helpful demeanor
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.