Medical Office Assistant-MPS-UnityPlace
Full-Time 40 hours/week, Benefitted
1st Shift, Monday-Friday between 7:45am-5:30pm
Performs a variety of clinical and clerical activities to expedite the patient flow and business activities of the medical office. The MOA will assist with the examination and treatment of patients under the directions of a physician or Registered Nurse (RN).
About UnityPoint Health - UnityPlace:
UnityPoint Health - UnityPlace is proud to offer the most comprehensive addiction and mental health services in the Peoria, Illinois region to you and your family. UnityPlace was formed by the joining of UnityPoint Health®, Human Service Center and Tazwood Center for Wellness in April of 2019. UnityPlace is a new non-profit organization dedicated to meeting the growing behavioral health care needs of the community. Our compassionate and committed treatment team is comprised of many experts from psychiatry and addiction medicine.
Our goal is to deliver comprehensive behavioral healthcare to optimize the patient's well-being. It is our privilege to partner with our patients on their journey of healing.
As a member of the UnityPlace Team, our team members are eligible for a benefits package including:
Additional benefits are available, apply today to discuss our full benefits package!
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work.
Clinical Excellence Focus: Promotes the use of evidence-based practice through the appropriate care protocols and procedures.
· Assists in screening patients for general medical, and by obtaining lab specimens as needed
· Possesses knowledge and skills necessary to assist Care Coordinators in
· Assists the clerical staff by copying and collating medical records and patient education
· Assists the with general patient education involving healthy living
· Participates in learning new procedures, policies, equipment, and treatments
· Assists the Care Coordinators by answering the telephone and taking messages, scheduling
appointments visits; retrieving charts for the day; filing any papers or charts that need to be
· Possesses knowledge and skills necessary to obtain adequate lab specimens for testing
· Assists with a full range of front office operations as required
· Under the supervision of an RN, assesses patient's status through interview, observation and physical assessment of actual problems and outcomes
· Implements appropriate interventions identified in the plan of care to achieve expected patient outcomes
· Completes required documentation as appropriate, including patient charting and event reports
· Acquires and maintains current knowledge and skills in evidence-based practice
· Performs select clinical duties, including but not limited to:
o Taking vital signs
o Verifying and reconciling medical records/patient history/patient flowsheets
· Completes other duties as assigned by the nurse.
Work Environment & Culture Focus: Participates in interdisciplinary care of patient through collaboration with team members and utilizes additional resources when necessary.
· Analyzes clinical situations in a systematic way and acts to obtain resources or correct problems to meet or exceed expected outcomes or patient needs
· Recognizes need for assistance and utilizes resources in a timely manner
· Able to assume assignment of non-complex and some complex patient management with some turnover in assignment as directed by RN
· Consistently prioritizes work based on changes in patient condition, changes in assignment and unanticipated interruptions
· Identifies and utilizes team resources to solve identified problems or needs
· Collaborates with the health care team in the organization of tasks and activities for the patient's care from admission to discharge according to the plan of care and to meet identified expected outcomes
· Advocates with physicians on patient's behalf when necessary
· Utilizes communication and teamwork strategies aimed at promoting high team performance and achieving optimal patient outcomes and unit productivity
· Chooses an appropriate and meaningful communication style when interacting with others; gives and accepts constructive feedback to/from peers
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High School Diploma /GED
0-1 years of experience in/with clinical and clerical experience in a physician office
· Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification within 30 days of hire.
Certificate Program in the field(s) of medical office assisting
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgement in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities/hospitals.
Required to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.