Emergency Department - Rock Island, IL
Full Time 0.9 FTE
Day Shift - 7:30 AM - 8:00 PM
The Critical Care Paramedic provides direct care to adult patients in acute, critical care settings collaboratively within the nursing team under supervision of registered nurse.
Perks of Joining the UnityPoint Health Team:
COVID-19 and Flu Vaccination Requirement: It is required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 and Influenza. Exemption requests based on medical or religious reasons may be submitted, but must be approved for active employment.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Assists RN in the delivery of patient care.
· Performs delegated tasks within scope of practice after the patient has been evaluated by registered nurse, NP or PA. Scope includes:
PCT duties and responsibilities
Basic & advanced airway and ventilation monitoring and management
Gastric lavage and gavage; Eye lavage
Oxygen therapy and monitoring.
Cardioversion, defibrillation and transthoracic pacing.
IV and IO insertion, maintenance and monitoring.
Bedside glucose monitoring.
Obtains venous blood samples, urine samples
Assists in tube thoracostomy; monitors and manages the chest tube and thoracic draining system.
Initiates automated ventilators
Monitors internal pacemakers
Monitors and accesses arterial lines
Monitors and accesses central venous lines
Assists in monitoring and maintaining intracranial pressure devices
· Notifies the RN of any pertinent changes in patient condition or disposition, reports unusual incidents, complaints or concerns to the Nurse Manager or designee.
· Completes documentation to assure an accurate record of patient’s care.
· Interacts effectively, confidentially, and cooperatively with patient, families, physicians, and pre-hospital, and hospital personnel regarding patient care.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Preferred or Specialized
Completion of a paramedic program with a valid Illinois or Iowa License.
Minimum of 1 year of field experience in a paramedic-based service.
Current license in good standing to practice as a paramedic.
Basic Life Support (BLS)
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
Pediatric Life Support (PALS) Emergency Department
Current Critical Care Paramedic Endorsement – EMS
Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS)
Writes, reads, comprehends, and speaks fluent English.
Microsoft Office-basic computer skills.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgement in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.